Len Abbott Fuqua has been set free and passed away from this earth on Saturday morning, April 29, 2017. At home, peacefully, like a good book, it ended at the right time but his stories…amazing stories will be read over and over. Len could imagine and dream of more things than anyone and he passed this passion on to his six children.
He was born in Higgins, Texas to Frank Duane Fuqua and Idyleglenn Abbott on January 4, 1938. He graduated from Texas Tech University and entered OCS stationed in San Diego, CA as a Lieutenant JG on the US Valley Forge and legal officer for SeaBees. This is where he met his lifelong partner, Carole Anderson, a kindergarten teacher, and began their journey of almost 53 years. They were married the day after school was out in Pacific Beach on June 20, 1964. The marriage was later solemnized for time and all eternity in the Los Angeles Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. To this union was born their crown jewels, Stephanie (Dustan Diede) of Livingston, Eric of Glendive, Hunter (Toni) of Fort Meyers, FL and Lolo, MT, David of Glendive, Jonathan (Bethany) of Billings and Christopher of Billings. They have 11 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
Len was employed with the family business, Anderson’s Dept. Store in Glendive for many years but his lifelong pursuits were in his writing. He encompassed his world travels in stories of fact and fiction to the entertainment of his family. He leaves a legacy of devotion to family, a fascination of the world both spiritual and temporal. He was a remarkable pianist, talented swimmer and tennis player, which he shared by coaching the youth of Glendive. He taught many how to play Chess and they visited the house often for a challenge. He introduced Karate to his friends and family as well as Dr. Pepper to Butterys (Alberstons) with the help of then manager, Pat Moran. He obtained his pilots’ license in 1971 at the Glendive Airport and enjoyed many flights over the Eastern Montana terrain. Even performing emergency runs to Billings for friends.
He fought non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma for 17 years but it was the Alzheimer’s that finally over took his beautiful brain and body. He never complained, not once, and was often able to laugh at himself. He was the center of laughter and the heart of his family. He will be greatly missed.
His family expresses great thanks to the loving care of Riverstone Hospice. Aliica, Judy, Amber, Melissa, Kathy and Bob you made his days so much happier.
We are grateful to the Veterans Healthcare System who took care of Len for so long from his eyes to his toes in Miles City, Fort Harrison, Billings and Salt Lake City.
Len is survived by his wife and children, grandchildren and five younger brothers, Rob Fuqua (Judi) Kimberling, Mo. Murray Young (Jane) of Denver , CO and Mark, Gregg and Daniel Fuqua of Texas.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. June 24 at the Glendive Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints with Military Honors.